Model: TK or TP - $45
This compact kit combines a weldless sight glass (level indicator) with a 2" dial face thermometer and only requires a single hole in your vessel. It is similar to the larger LTSK and LTSP kits but the hardware is based on 1/4" NPT and the thermometer is downsized to 2" diameter. We tend to recommend putting your thermometer into a separate port up higher on the pot, but for those people who want the simplicity of a single hole in the vessel, this is the solution. This kit is available for either a straight sided pot (TP), converted Sanke keg (TK) and even a bulge sided Coors or Hoff keg (TKB).
- 19" Polycarbonate Tubing rated to 250F.
- SS Tee and Mounting Hardware
- 2" Dial Face Thermometer,
4" probe length, 20-240F (Celcius marks as well), 1% of range accuracy. WITH recalibration screw on the back.
- High Temp. Silicone Gasket
- Stainless eye bolt for securing the tube to the top of your pot.
- Black Vinyl Numbers for each gallon mark from 2 to 15.(5-50 liter also available, see below) (you install the numbers)
- Drill a clean 9/16" diameter hole in the side of your HLT or boil kettle and install liquid connection hand tight, or just snug with a wrench. The weldless system is 100% leak free the first time with no teflon tape or messing around.
- Drill a 1/4" hole in the top/side of your vessel and install eyebolt to hold the sight tube vertical.
- Don't forget to grab a Step Bit if you don't already have one.
- Use teflon tape on the thermometer threads.
- You must specify if your vessel is straight sided or a converted keg. The tubing meant for a keg is threaded at a slight angle so that it remains vertical when installed into the curved bottom edge. If this is confusing, please view this video.
- In addition to the standard (most common) Sanke style keg, you can also purchase .These will work on kegs such as and Hoff Stevens kegs.
- The standard calibration numbers included with this kit is 2-15 gallons. If you have a slightly larger vessel than 15 gallons, you can also add an extension strip that will add numbers 16-25 as well as 24 smaller arrows for 1/2 gallon increments below. If you would like to substitute 5-60 numbers for Litres, you must select "substitute 5-60 litres" in the dropdown below and click the "add to cart" button separately.
Note: Converted kegs hold just over 15 gallons so the 16-25 add on strips are not necessary in that case.
PLEASE BE AWARE that polycarbonate tubing is sensitive to long exposure times some cleaning chemicals. Read more about it HERE prior to purchasing.
THERMOMETER WARNING! These dial thermometers have an internal seal to keep moisture out of the body. If they are exposed to exterior temperatures over 248F, the seal may fail and the thermometer will develop condensation on the inside of the glass face. It is extremely rare for this condition to occur due to a factory defect and although the manufacturer has a 5 year warranty on these thermometers, condensation reports will likely be attributed to an overheating situation. We have seen many users that have flames that wrap around the side of their kettles due to running the burners too aggressively and if this applies to you, get yourself a HEAT SHIELD to protect the thermometer (see below). If you use a very aggressive burner, you may want to consider mounting the thermometer as a standalone unit a bit higher up the side of the kettle.
It is also highly recommended that you add at least one 20" long, 1/4" diameter nylon brush to your order for occassional cleaning of the interior of the entire sight tube (use with water or your favorite kettle cleaning detergent). $3.25
Please note that sight glass installs, into boil kettles especially, can benefit from use of a heat shield to keep the fittings and tubing from getting overheated. Overheating can lead to wort spurting out of the top of the tube or worse yet, and entire melt down. Some kettle and burner combinations can get by without a shield, but it is relatively inexpensive insurance to add one right from the start rather than incurring an additional shipping charge when you find out that you need one later. If you email us asking why your sight glass is bubbling or spitting, our recommendation will always be to make or buy a heatshield.Please click on the picture to get to the detailed page describing the optional sizes and add to cart button.
If you have a pot that is shorter than 20" tall, you may want to pick up this cheap tubing cutter ($4) if you don't already have one. It makes a nice straight cut that only requires a little sand paper cleanup. This small and affordable tubing cutter is perfect for trimming the top off any of our sight glass tubes that may extend over your pot/keg. Cutting your sight glass flush with the top of your vessel will protect it from getting snagged.